Thursday 16 February 2017

Top 5 Shinhwa Title Songs


Shinhwa has been in the kpop industry for 19 years now. Having debuted back in 1998, Shinhwa is indeed a legendary group. Not only because they have been around for a long time but also maintain all six original members and continuously released albums together. Sure, these men has a long career so it makes sense that they have many hit songs. However, it is not easy to remain relevant throughout these 19 years.

Not only that the music trend keep on changing, the number of junior idol groups debuting is also increasing year by year. Instead of sticking on the safe route, Shinhwa choose to keep changing their music style and performance yet maintaining Shinhwa own characteristics. From cutesy concept to manly man, vogue dancing to future bass genre, Shinhwa keep reinventing themselves and producing hit songs that have attract people’s interest in them.

This side of Shinhwa has earn the respect of fellow musicians. Now, many of kpop’s artists have made a cover of Shinhwa’s hit songs. To celebrate their beautiful 19 years career, check out Top 5 My Favourite Shinhwa Title Songs!

_____________________________________________________________________________

TOP 5 MY FAVOURITE SHINHWA TITLE SONGS

5. TOUCH

Earlier this year, Shinhwa showed us what differentiate them from other groups. Shinhwa once again challenged themselves with being the first in mainstream music industry to release a title track using a future bass genre. I honestly don’t know anything about music genre so I can’t comment on that. I was curious not only about the song but also on the music genre. So to prepare myself, I listened to many youtube videos on future bass music just to get its feel. Luckily, ‘Touch’ was released, I did like it. Shinhwa portrays their matureness with the choreography known as ‘mature-sexy’. The chorus part that is usually filled with point lyrics was left empty. Instead, it was filled with Shinhwa’s dance accompanied by fan chant during music shows.

Watch the Touch music video
Touch lyrics


4. BRAND NEW

This track is one of the songs that Shinhwa cherish the most. Not only that ‘Brand New’ had won Shinhwa their first Daesang since debut, but they received two Daesang each from SBS and KBS. To make it more special, this song was released in their first album since leaving SM Entertainment. The choreography for this song portrays Shinhwa’s masculinity through member’s solo performance. Honestly, when I first heard this song, I felt like it was not my taste. I tried to watched their performance, but then the female dancers at the beginning were a major turned off for me. I felt uncomfortable watching their dance, maybe because I was still young at that time. Now, this song is definitely one of my favourite.   

Watch the Brand New music video
Brand New lyrics


3. T.O.P.

This iconic track is another song that has a special place in the members’ hearts. After failing to capture people’s interest with their first album, Shinhwa faced a hard time to perform well with the second album. This might be their last album if it also did not do well. Fortunately, the title track ‘T.O.P.’ became a hit and spent about 24 weeks on the chart. The song used a sample of Tchaikovsky’s ‘Swan Lake’ music so it felt familiar when you listened to it.  There are many weird words in this song that I forgot what they stands for like D.R.C., D.O.G, and D.O.P. (T.O.P. stands for Twinkling Of Paradise and M.I.L. stands for Millenium Innocent Love). Apart from the weird words, I also still don’t understand the rap parts.. So, for those who can explain to me please do so in the comment below. Please don’t get me wrong because I still love the song no matter what.

Watch the T.O.P. music video
T.O.P. lyrics


2. THIS LOVE

This song is a gift from producers who made ‘Venus’ for their 10th album in 2012. ‘This Love’ is a huge success with winning eight first place on music shows. It is a proof that Shinhwa music can attract people of all ages to the dance floor. Other than the catchy electropop beat, the choreography involves vogue dancing become a main point because it was never done in kpop scene. Many people hate the choreography because they said it was too feminine. As for me, I love it especially the part where they bend forward like the supermodel pose… I hope you get which part that I mean. The dance style requires the members to express the music rhythm while posing like a model in fashion magazines. They manage to convey the sensual and sophistication of men in their 30s.

Watch the This Love music video
This Love lyrics   


1. SNIPER

Shinhwa absolutely killed it with ‘Sniper’ with winning 10 number one on music shows. The beat is very catchy, especially the whistling part like it was stuck in my head the moment I heard it. The choreography definitely has the ‘Brand New’ feels since each member has individual performance. I love Dongwan’s part at the beginning when he sat down and swept the floor with his finger. Personally, I think Shinhwa is a genius for taking advantage of their age. Like, seriously only Shinhwa can do anything that can be considered a big no no for younger groups. Like in this MV, it doesn’t look weird seeing them smoking a cigarette or interacting with women.

Watch the Sniper music video
Sniper lyrics



With only 5 spots available in this list, I might have missed some of your personal favourites. If that is the case, please leave a comment below and share your personal Top 5 favourite Shinhwa title tracks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...