Thursday 9 February 2017

'Somewhere Between' Is The US Remake For Korean Drama 'God's Gift - 14 Days'

GOD’S GIFT – 14 DAYS U.S. REMAKE

Have you heard the news that back in last December, ABC (not the alphabet but the broadcasting network) gave a 10 episodes straight-to-series order for drama Somewhere Between? So, what does this news has any relevance with my blog since it is a U.S. drama. Actually, it does have something to do with Kdrama topic as the drama will be a remake of God’s Gift-14 Days. I believe many of us Crazy Kdrama fans still remember the series because it was quiet popular back in 2014.

 I wish to make this post as a brief introduction for those who are interested to know about the original drama. But do not worry because I will not explain the storyline in details. Before that, let us go back to the news. If anyone is wondering, what is the meaning of straight-to-series, please let me have the honour to explain to you. Well, it literally means the drama will be made straight into a series without having to make/air a pilot episode first.

This thriller drama with a supernatural twist is being produced by a Canadian production company, Thunderbird Entertainment and aiming to debut this summer 2017. Stephen Tolkin of Legend of the Seeker and Brothers & Sisters is set to be the scriptwriter, and together with Ivan Fecan and Joseph Broido as producers. The shooting is set to be in Vancouver, Canada. No casting has yet been made except for Paula Patton as the lead actress.

The premise of Somewhere Between centers around Laura Price, a woman who isn’t crazy but knows her daughter Serena is going to be murdered. She doesn’t know who the murderer is, or why her daughter is being targeted, but she knows exactly when it will happen, where and how. Despite this, all of Laura's attempts to keep her daughter safe fail, and Serena’s fixed, unmovable, terrifying fate keeps her directly in the path of her killer.

I wonder how the remake will be and how similar will it be with the original storyline. Personally, I think Hollywood dramas or films usually doesn’t bound to follow original premise when remaking novels or foreign shows. There might be some aspects being remove or added to better suit the U.S. audience taste. However, I hope it will not be too different because why would you make a remake series if you want to change everything isn’t it? ^^

GOD’S GIFT – 14 DAYS : BRIEF INTRO

The premise given for Somewhere Between is actually kind of incomplete for me. Thus, it sounds quite ridiculous like so the mother knows when it will happens so how can she save her daughter etc. If the remake is somewhere near the original Korean format, then I hope this brief intro will give us better understanding on what the series is about.



The title of the original Korean drama is God’s Gift – 14 Days (신의 선물 - 14 / Shineui Sunmool - 14 Il). The series was broadcasted from 3rd March until 22nd April 2014 for 16 episodes plus one special episode. It is about Kim Soo-hyun, a mother of Han Saet-Byul, that frantically tries to solve her daughter’s murder in an attempt to prevent it from happening. God had gifted her with time-travelling abilities exactly two weeks before the murder. Therefore, she can goes back fourteen days in time to expose the kidnapping plot and preventing the murder to happen again. A former cop now a private detective, Ki Dong-Chan help her throughout the allotted 14 days.  

I will stop here because in case the remake is similar to this original storyline, then I will not give any spoilers. But, basically that is what this series is about. The journey of a mother to save her daughter from being murder by going back 14 days before the incident happen using the time travelling ability that God gifted to her.

Watch the teaser of God’s Gift – 14 days here.

IN MY OPINION

From the bottom of my heart, I really hope the U.S. remake can build a stronger storyline. (Sorry if I am going to offend any fans of God’s Gift – 14 Days but I am speaking my honest opinion TT). The first two episodes really intrigued me as I am a fan of mystery drama, although I hate the time travelling idea. This drama really started off strong promising an intense and thrilling journey. All the plot twists and turns left me in awe because they were totally unexpected. So, my anticipation for the drama went up high as to how the story will progress. However, as we come closer to the middle of the series, the plot twists became my enemy. It was because they were so unrealistic and confusing. I hated it so much that I did abandoned the series as it became so frustrating. (I think it was around episode 12 or something). However, I felt like it was a pity to stop watching as I used to love this drama. I was hoping the ending can help me forgive all the confusions that they gave me. My heart broke once again TT. The final episode was definitely not what I anticipated. I hate open ending because it left me with so many unanswered questions. That is just my own opinion as different people has different point of view. Let’s wait this summer to find out how Somewhere Between will unfold!!

Do you hope the series will be the same as he original? Tell me your opinion in the comment section ^^  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...