Friday 17 February 2017

Top 5 Korean Drama Anticipate Second Season


There are many Korean drama that when it ended, we feel insatiable and need more of it. Sometimes, it is because the drama itself has an interesting storyline. There is also times when the ending is a cliffhanger that it leave us with many unresolved questions. We always hope for a second season, however the possibility of it to happen is very low.

Most of Korean dramas usually do not have a second season. I am not sure why but that is that is a fact. There are many possible reasons. One of it might be because of the drama got low ratings.  The producers will definitely refuse to produce a second season if the first one do not manage to perform well. As for a successful drama, the pressure to achieve the same result might be too much that it is better not to have a second season. Whatever the reason is, here are my picks for Top 5 Korean Dramas I Hope for a Second Season.

________________________________________________________________________________
Top 5 Korean Dramas I Hope for a Second Season

1. Romantic Doctor, Teacher Kim.


Genre: Medical, melodrama
Broadcast network: SBS
Main casts: Han Suk Kyu, Yoo Yun Suk and Seo Hyun Jin

Synopsis:
Dr. Bu Yong Joo was a famous surgeon with the nickname of “Hand of God”. Rumor was that he can save life even from the death. However, he suddenly disappeared after an incident at the hospital and nobody knew exactly why. Apparently, he decided to leave his former workplace to be in a small hospital (Doldam Hospital) and now is known as Teacher Kim.

Fate has put together former senior-junior, Dr. Yoon Seo Jung and Dr. Kang Dong Joo to work under Teacher Kim. These two young doctors are passionate to become a great doctor yet for a selfish reasons. Kang Dong Joo became a doctor to win somebody over meanwhile Yoon Seo Jung wants to be recognized by somebody. Teacher Kim teaches them the meaning of being true doctors.

When there are news about famous Dr, Bu Yong Joo is making a comeback, there director of his former hospital tried hard to prevent it from happening. Things got worse when the chairman of that hospital personally wanted Bu Yong Joo to handle his heart operation.

Opinion:
This is truly a masterpiece. Honestly, this fantastic drama is worth watching. I had watched numerous Korean medical related dramas such as ‘Good Doctor’, ‘Blood’ and ‘Yong Pal’ but none had achieved my expectation in term of medical element. Since the dramas used medical as their genre, I always expected to see the plot progress based on it with more doctors in action instead of their love life. Usually, the romance element always ended up overpowering the medical aspect of the drama.  

That is why I think ‘Romantic Doctor, Teacher Kim’ is so far the best Korean medical drama. I love the chemistry among all the casts and their natural acting. There is a romance but not overpowering the medical theme. I love that in every episode there is always a new patient case with different need of treatment, so we can witness how the hospital staffs trying their best to deal with it. I enjoy watching all the operation room scenes, this is exactly what I expected from a medical drama. The comedy is good too with a bunch of funny scenes. I applaud the excellent writing, directing and acting of all the production staffs. Truly a satisfactory drama, it did have a decent ending but I just want more episodes.
 _________________________________________________________________________________

2. Signal



Genre: Fantasy, crime
Broadcasting network: tvN
Main casts: Lee Je Hoon, Kim Hye Soon, Cho Jin Woong

Synopsis:
Hae Young is police lieutenant cum criminal profiler. He doesn’t trust cops due to his bad past experience. When he was in elementary school, Hae Young witnessed his classmate being kidnapped by a woman and later found dead. Hae Young went to the police station to try informing them that the kidnapper was a woman not a man like what the police announced. However, nobody paid attention to him. His friend’s case remain unsolved.

Hae young meet a veteran police Detective Soo Hyun when she caught him at a cafĂ© for trying to leak celebrity scandal to reporter. She arrests him unknowing that he is a police. While leaving the police station, he hears a voice calling his name. He looks around and finds that the sound comes from a walkie-talkie. The voice is of a man claiming to be Detective Jae Han from the year 2000 and is currently investigating Hae Young’s classmate case. This is when these two begin to communicate through walkie-talkie in attempt to solve many cold cases.
  
Opinion:
This is by far my favourite Korean crime drama. I am a huge fan of crime solving dramas because I am intrigued to look for clues to unsolved murders and violent crimes. I am an avid fan of U.S. drama ‘Criminal Mind’, so I am eager to see how Lee Jae Hoon portrays his character as a profiler. Although this drama only have little romantic scenes, this will definitely keep you on the edge. The pacing for this drama is good and the plot is also well-written. My only complaint is the ending. Why does it have to be an open ending? I hate it because it leave the viewers with many unresolved questions. I am wondering is Detective Jae Han still alive. Plus, his father looks like he is keeping some sort of secret.  I will be incredibly frustrated if there is no sequel of this drama.
_________________________________________________________________________________ 

3.  Missing Noir M


Genre: Crime, thriller, action
Broadcast network: OCN
Main casts: Kim Kang Woo, Park Hee Soon, Jo Bo Ah

Synopsis:
Gil Soo Hyun is a genius who entered Harvard University at the age of 10. Later, he became an FBI agent for 10 years before returning to South Korea. He is later chosen to be the leader of the Special Missing persons Unit. The unit was established to deal with cases of special missing cases involving violent crimes. Other members of the unit are Detective Oh Dae Young and Jin Seo Joon. Det. Park is a detective with 20 years of experience and currently is obsess with learning the law. Jin Seo Joon is their expert technical personnel.

Opinion:
Definitely one of the most interesting crime drama with many suspense moments. Truly a high quality crime/thriller drama. Each case has many unpredictable plot twists. I always made a wrong guess on who the real criminal is and sometimes I need to replay a certain part just to see what I missed. As a viewer, I enjoy having myself analysing all pieces of evidence to see how it fit together. It is a pity that there is only 10 episodes. Judging from the way how the series ended with a cliffhanger, it does looks like OCN is open to have a second season. Speaking of ending, I feel bad for Park Hee Soon’s character because I think he got the worst ending. I am not sure if he will be in the second season (assuming there is a second season) because he did killed someone. Hopefully, the main trio will not be replace because I love their chemistry.
 _________________________________________________________________________________

4.  Kill Me, Heal Me


Genre: Rom-com, suspense, medical
Broadcast network: MBC
Main casts: Ji Sung, Hwang Jung Eum, Park Seo Joon

Synopsis:
A third-generation business heir, Cha Do Hyun is suffering from dissociative identity disorder due to past traumatic events. This results in him having seven different personalities. He tries to keep this as a secret from his family and friends. He tries to regain control of his life through the help of a first-year psychiatric resident, Oh Ri Jin, whom he employs as his secret doctor.

Opinion:
This drama proved that Ji Sung is a great actor. His portrayal of each distinctive seven personalities is remarkable. I like that each personality has different characteristic and each of them was jealous of the other is something relatable to us. There are times that we feel like we have to be someone else but also at the same time we need to be a different person.

Honestly, I am attracted to watch this series solely because of Ji Sung acting. I personally like Perry Park character. There are many funny scenes, my personal favourite will be Ahn Yo Na fangirling over Oh Ri On moments. So hilarious. As for the storyline, honestly I enjoy the unveiling of the family great secret but it became quite dragging at the last few episodes. All those basement flashbacks were getting kind of annoying. Overall, I really enjoyed the drama and have high praises for Ji Sung’s acting. I want a second season to happen just because I want to see all these seven personalities back but the probability of that to happen seems unlikely.
 _________________________________________________________________________________

5. Healer


Genre: Action, thriller, romance
Broadcast network: KBS2
Main casts: Ji Chang Wook, Park Min Young, Yoo Ji Tae

Synopsis:
Seo Jung Hoo is a mysterious errand boy known by the codename ‘Healer’ who has an excellent fighting skills. He accepted any task for a relevant price unless it is connected with murder. No one knows who he is except for an older woman who is a genius hacker. One of his task involved a reporter for a second rate tabloid website, Chae Young Shin. She starts to have an interest to know about the mysterious Healer as he tries to get closer to her. Meanwhile, Kim Moon Ho is a famous reporter at major broadcasting station. The three of them end up working together in trying to uncover the truth of a past incident, which is actually a common past for them all.

Opinion:
This is one great action drama. Despite having a low rating, I think is an amazing Korean drama worth putting on replay. At early episodes, I was sceptical because I thought the drama will end up like ‘Superman’ or ‘Spiderman’. It has that love at first side with a mysterious man vibe, but luckily it was not like that. I read many reviews saying that this drama is similar to ‘City Hunter’ but I cannot comment on that because I never watch it. I am not familiar with any of the main casts. They nailed their characters. I love the way they deal with their traumatic pasts.


I love how all the conflicts are resolve in a peaceful way instead of using violence. This drama has a good balance between action, comedy, romance and suspense. My issue is only that I want to know more on what happen to the bad guys, I mean the Elder and Moon Shik. Yes, I can assume that they got punished for their crime but it will be nice to see that in the storyline. Of course, there are a lot more that I want to know. Did Jung Hoo stops being Healer? Did he get married to Young Shin? Did Myung Hee know the truth about Young Shin is her daughter? With these many questions remain unanswered, I really hope for a second season to clear this up. 
_________________________________________________________________________________

These are my Top 5 picks, do you have other Korean drama that you anticipate for second season? Share it in the comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...